Monday, February 12, 2007

Skateboard Taser

I have to admit I don't know much about reasonable justifications for tasering someone, nor do I know these two situations personally or have any idea what it feels like to be tasered. I have just read an article or two and watched some YouTube videos.

Having said that, let's jump into this Taser discussion. A young man (non-student) on my campus was tasered last Tuesday after being told to stop skateboarding. The Daily Aztec (our school newspaper) said that the local news reported it as the man being tasered because he was skateboarding on campus. The newspaper tried to make it clear that he was tasered because he wouldn't comply with the officers' request. Here are some quotes:
"...refused to get off his skateboard and started to get combative with the officer."
"It's a tool that, if the situation presents itself, I have to stop the situation from escalating to the point where I have to use a handgun." -University Police Lt.
"If anyone was running from me and had just committed a crime, I would feel justified to use a Taser."
"The fine for skateboarding on campus is approximately $120."
"What's important to note is that none of this would have occurred if he had complied with officers."

Now I know that if an officer told me to get off my hypothetical skateboard, I would do it. So that was poor judgment of this guy. He would've just been cited and go on his way. But for some reason he thought it would be a good idea to fight the inevitable. It's like a car chase--you're almost always going to get caught, why even bother prolonging the inevitable and make your crime worse?
But besides that point, I think it was also poor judgment on the University Police. It's not like this guy was running away after he just robbed someone. He wasn't a "bad guy." Just skateboarding on the edge of campus. I just don't see the need in tracking him down and hurting him because they need to be SO strict with the policies. But hey, maybe I'm just too easy on 'em.

The other incident I was going to go into was with a UCLA student being Tasered a few months ago. Supposedly for not having his ID on him at the library and being asked to leave. That's about all I know about that... once again, poor judgment on both sides.

So my point is possibly not made clear because I'm still not sure what I think about this. But I think I'm trying to say this:
to people being asked by some authority to do what they say-- do it. stop skateboarding. leave the library. whatever. so long as you think it's not taking away your rights.
and to these police-- was it worth it?

So, that's it for me not knowing what I think and rambling about what I think I think....hahah
Oh, and keep in mind that the kids skateboarding on campus aren't really ever grinding on things...just usually on longboards floating through...

No comments: