Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Holidays


This year will truly be a first for us Gallaghers. Thanksgiving and Christmas in our little home. I've become accustomed to driving 4+ hours to visit my family to spend Thanksgiving morning turning over sugary gooey yams. Christmas Eve in the living room listening to Bing Crosby or watching movies like Muppet Christmas Carol. But this year, it's not going to be the same. We used up our vacation for the wedding and honeymoon and will truly spend our first Christmas together, without enormous family dinners and the smell and warmth of the wood stove.

For Thanksgiving, David's mom and sister will be at our apartment. I'll likely be working in the morning, but still be able to cook up my grandmother's buttery, brown sugar yams before the afternoon dinner. And maybe we'll use the handy-dandy crock pot to cook our turkey to perfection. It's going to be delicious, and with loving family.

Christmas is up in the air. We know we'll be here. Possibly by ourselves, without family. I may need a couple Skype dates with you all. At least we have that.

For now, I'm comforting myself with the sounds of Mannheim Steamroller, a spice cake candle, and maybe I'll get Dave to watch White Christmas with me before Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

mpwalker said...

We've had Thanksgiving by ourselves almost every year and last Christmas was our first in Tennessee. It'll be lots of fun to have a change-up and start a memory your first year as a married couple :)

Vanessa Rae said...

oh megan, we will miss you this holiday season! it's not going to be the same! let's hope you both can make a visit for christmas!